Getting to and from the Pyrenean Classic Cols
Last Updated on Friday, 30 August 2013 10:31
Start point: Hotel Terminus, Ax les Thermes
Hotel Terminus: 31 Avenue Theophile Delcasse, 09110 Ax-Les-Thermes. Tel: 0033 (0)5 61 64 20 55.
End point: Hotel Les Fleurs, Argeles Gazost
Hotel Les Fleurs, 7 Place de la Republique, 65400 Argeles Gazost. Tel: 0033 5 62 97 00 24
Travel by Air
There are many flights in/out of Toulouse from regional UK airports, so you may wish to choose alternative flights to the Recommended ones that tie in with the group transfers. There are too many options to list here for those coming from the UK or elsewhere, but if you are coming into and leaving from Toulouse at times that do not suit the group transfers, then train travel from Toulouse to the start (Ax) and from the end (we can drop you at Lourdes station) to Toulouse is very plausible, thus opening up this option. See below for more details on using the train to/from Toulouse airport.
Travel by Train
Lessen your carbon footprint and take the train to Ax les Thermes. The location of the Hotel Terminus is ideal for anyone wanting to do their whole journey by train, or just to get from a local airport to Ax independently.
Eurostar Travel from London to Ax les Thermes
1. Catch the Eurostar train from London Waterloo to Paris Nord with Eurostar.
2. Take the underground from Paris Nord to Paris Austerlitz
3. Take a train direct to Ax-les-Thermes on the line to Latour de Carol (NB some services change at Toulouse). There are then trains every hour (except at lunch times). The journey takes about 2hrs and costs 17 Euros. On Sundays some of the services are replaced in part by buses. The final train of the day leaves Toulouse at about 2015.
4. On arrival in Ax you will see the Hotel Terminus directly opposite the train station, next to the river.
Overnight sleeper from London to Ax
Leave London Waterloo at approx 18.30 to Paris Nord. Take the underground to Paris Austerlitz. Leave Paris Austerlitz at approx 21.00 and travel direct to Ax, arriving at approx 06.45 in the morning. We can generally make arrangements for your room to be ready on arrival, and you will be able to have breakfast in the hotel.
Booking train tickets and train timetable information
1. Phone Raid Europe on 08708 371 371 (UK number)
2. Try the DB Rail (German rail network) website. You will need to ring them up to book a ticket (english speaking). Both the SNCF and Rail Europe websites don't seem to acknowledge that this route exists.
Train travel with a bike
Depending on which French train company you are travelling with, you may have to pay for your bike.
Travel on any train with a boxed bike. Travel with an assembled bike is restricted to certain trains (marked on individual timetables).
Other Train Lines
You will need a bike ticket, available to purchase over the phone from Rail Europe on 0844 848 5848. There is a flat rate booking fee of £8 (2010 price) regardless of number of bikes or journeys.
Travel by Road
If you decide to drive out, it is best to drive to Toulouse Airport, where you can leave you car in a secure parking for 27 Euros and join our group transfers.