Raid Alpine North to South
Last Updated on Monday, 20 May 2013 09:09
The Raid Alpine needs little introduction, it is a classic road cycling challenge either from Lake Geneva to the Cote Azur through the Southern Alps or the same route in reverse. The 740km route takes in lots of the legendary Alpine climbs including the two highest (the Col d'Iseran and the Cime de la Bonette). In all it goes over an incredible 31 cols, 6 of which are over 2000 metres high! Despite being one of the great cycling challenges in Europe, it is also a holiday and the variety of scenery and scale of the constant views accompany us for the entire journey.
With both our Southerly and Northerly Raid Alpines, we will follow the official route set out by the Cycle Club in Thonon Les Bains and for your efforts get awarded a badge on successful completion of the challenge in less than 7 days. We have actually opted to do the challenge in 6 days (to fit it into a week), giving us an average of 120kms a day.
Raid Alpine Dates and Prices
Fri 26 July - Fri 2 August
Sun 11 - Sun 18 August
Sun 8 - Sun 15 Sept
Sun 29 June - Sun 6 July 2014
Sun 27 July - Sun 3 Aug 2014
Sun 17 Aug - Sun 24 Aug 2014
Sun 7 Sept - Sun 14 Sept 2014
Sun 14 Sept - Sun 21 Sept 2014
Costs for all trips: £1050 (twin share basis), starting at Geneva Airport and ending at Nice Airport. Single supplement £210 [To be arranged on booking. This supplement only applies if you are booking alone and would like to guarantee your own room for the holiday. If you are happy to share with someone of the same gender then there is no need to pay this supplement.]
Flights are not included but can be picked up very cheaply if booked in advance.
Allow about £100 for lunches and daytime drinks that are not included (outlined below). There are no other local payments or hidden costs. Please note that we offer a 5% discount if you book more than 6 months before the departure date. We also offer group and loyalty discounts.
If your currency isn't GBP £, then you may find the Caxton FX currency calculator useful.
This price includes:
6 days supported rides. Route notes, GPS files, colour maps and altitude profiles. Entrance to the official "Raid Alpine". Airport Transfers (at specified times). Medical, Mechanical and Moral support from 2 vehicles. 7 nights 2 / 3 star hotel accommodation (twin share). 7 evening meals with table wine. 7 substantial breakfasts (suplemented by Marmot Tours). Cycling snacks (nuts, crisps, cereal bars, etc.) and fruit during the ride. Certificate and medal on successful completion of the challenge plus the option to purchase one of our Raid Alpine gilets
NB. There will also be included a freebie Marmot Tours pack: Raid Challenge musette bag, Marmot Tours water bottle and Raid Alpine velopac (waterproof transparent mobile/money holder) for each client. Raid Alpine gilets are available to purchase either before or on the trip (contact us to add the price to your invoice) - see our Merchandise section for gilet piccies and prices.
Why choose Marmot Tours for your Raid Alpine?
In a nutshell, we hope that you will come with us on the Raid Alpine because you have enjoyed our product elsewhere, and would like to take on a new challenge with the level of support you know you can expect from Marmot Tours, or because you like the sound of our approach to cycling holidays from our website.
As usual, we will be on hand to assist with travel arrangements and queries prior to the trip, and during the trip you can also expect the following:
- we cater for various dietary requirements and supplement your breakfasts with wholesome cereals and fruit to give you that kick start in the morning (continental breakfasts aren't always the best for cyclists!)
- we use small friendly and family run hotels that know us and our needs (particularly regarding cyclists), and who make every effort to make your trip comfortable and easy
- we will limit our group size to 20 so you get the benefits of being with enough other cyclists to find others who cycle at your pace and to have a good laugh en route, but also so that you are not just 'one' in a sea of faces who never get to know anyone else in the group, or your leaders.
- we always have 2 support vehicles, driven by members of the Marmot Tours team. The front van offers support to the speedier cyclists in the group, plus makes sure that everyone's bags are at the hotel before they arrive. The back van stays on the road with the second half of the group ensuring that they have support for as long as it takes for them to complete the days ride. This means that we can have a group with mixed cycling experience and different paces, and still offer everyone the same, high level of support. It also means that in the case of any emergencies or mechanicals, a van is never far away or taken away!
- We provide GPS notes (.gpx or .tcx) and comprehensive route cards with colour maps, altitude profiles, detailed directions, information of places to stop for food and the odd bit of local / historical information.
- One driver will always be a bike mechanic so help is on hand for any problems en route (though it is helpful if you are independent as regards punctures).
Marmot Tours has been running road cycling holidays since its conception in 2001. James has been in the leisure industry for even longer and so you can be sure that we will not overlook any aspect of your trip, from the riding, to the travel arrangements, to the accommodation.