Alpine Classic Cols
Last Updated on Monday, 29 April 2013 13:21
This road cycling holiday has been put together to give you the opportunity to cycle the best cols and stage endings that the Savoie Alps has to offer.
Our tantalising circular route takes in all the famous climbs that the professional Tour de France cyclists head up every year (Alpe D'Huez, Croix-de-Fer, la Madeleine, Courmet de Roseland, l'Iseran, Telegraphie, Col du Galibier). We start off as gently as the Alps allow us and gradually crank up the daily altitude gain (1400 to 2100m). However, each day there are 'optional extras' (both cols and TDF stage endings) increasing the possible daily ascent to over 2500m, making this holiday also suitable for those looking to really push themselves and take on our Classic Cols Challenge.
The unique thing about this holiday is its flexibility - you really can ride as much or as little as you like at a pace that suites you without holding up or being held up by others in the group. That said with a group of 16, you can be sure to find someone else on the trip with similar aspirations to you, whether that be sampling a glass of the local wine in a rustic village bar, or taking on every optional extra stage ending on offer.
This week is definitely a 'holiday' and riding on the quiet roads through the stunning mountain scenery of the Alps is a real joy. The car drivers are generally respectful and supportive of cyclists, the sun often shines, the local French cuisine is plentiful and the good company of the others in your group all make for an excellent week.
It is important to us that people book the correct holiday. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have have any questions about the trip. It should be noted that we consider the classic route of this holiday to be slightly harder than our Pyrenean Classic Cols holiday, so if you are unsure of your ability, you may consider that holiday instead.
Why book with Marmot Tours?
- We have been running this road cycling holidays since 2001 so know what makes a good week. With this fantastic itinerary, not only do we get to ride most of the famous Alpine climbs but we also maintain our philosophy of supporting the local economy by staying in family run hotels which serve up generous portions of tasty regional dishes.
- This trip is all about you and your bike - we do the rest. We provide you with comprehensive notes with altitude profiles, route descriptions and top tips on the best places to eat lunch. You then ride whichever of the route choices you feel like doing, to bring you to the hotel, meeting up with our support vehicle periodically throughout the day to restock with water and snacks.
- We minimise time in the van so that you are only have the transfers at the beginning and end of the holiday - the rest of the time you are cycling, which after all is what you have come to do. Our routes go direct from hotel to hotel, and naturally all your baggage is transported on for you.
- In order to offer the best possible service and suportewe have two vehicles on the road with the group. This enables us to maintain the flexability, so you can cycle at your own pace in the knowledge that assistance will never be far away, offering mechanical help, moral encouragement, refreshments and lifts up (or down) the hills. This holiday is even suitable for non-cycling partners who want to enjoy exploring this beautiful part of the world.
- Cycling is fun! This is not a training camp - on our holidays everyone can cycle as much as they like and what pace they like!
The Classic Cols Challenge
For those of you out there that like a challenge, why not ride all the optional extra cols and stage endings (in red on the itinerary page). This makes your weeks cycling over 600km with 16000m of ascent! We'll give you a certificate for it (so thats got to be worth the effort!)...
Dates and Prices
Sun 7 July - Sun 14 July
Sun 4 Aug - Sun 11 Aug
Sun 1 Sept - Sun 8 Sept
Sun 22 - Sun 29 June 2014
Sun 20 - Sun 27 July 2014
Sun 10 - Sun 17 Aug 2014
Sun 31 Aug - Sun 7 Sept 2014
Costs: £960 (twin share basis) starting and ending at Geneva Airport. Single room supplement £210 [To be arranged on booking. This supplement only applies if you are booking alone and would like to guarantee your own room for the holiday. If you are happy to share with someone of the same gender then there is no need to pay this supplement.]
Allow about £100 for the meals not included and drinks (depending on your thirst). Please note that we offer a 5% discount if you book more than 6 months before the departure date. We also offer group and loyalty discounts.
If your currency isn't GBP £, then you may find the Caxton FX currency calculator useful.
This price includes: 7 nights 2-star hotels, 7 evening meals and 7 breakfasts, snacks whilst cycling (fruit, cereal bars, cake, nuts, etc). Airport transfers at specific times from Geneva, support on the road from two vehicles.