Road Bike Hire
Last Updated on Monday, 25 March 2013 13:13
Reasons for Hiring a Bike
- Hiring a bike can save you the hassle of packing up and transporting your own.
- Most airlines now charge for the transportation of bikes (up to £40 per flight).
- Airlines do not guarantee to transport your bike if the flight is full.
- You don't have to worry about maintaining it during the week.
- You can return it dirty at the end of your trip.
- It is a good opportunity to try some new equipment.
- Your bike does not have the correct gearing for the mountains.
Marmot Tours has some of its own stock, plus has teamed up with a local company that hires out Cannondale Road Bikes, in order to increase the number of bikes we have available to hire. We are able to offer a limited number of the entry level Aluminium framed Caad 8 or a wider availability of full carbon frame 105 SuperSix or Synapse 5 models. All are excellent bikes retailing at £1050 (aluminium) and approx £1900 (carbon models). Supersix and Caad 8 bikes are 2012 models and the Synapse models are 2013. All bikes have gearing suitable for the mountains.
If you are wanting a carbon framed bike, you will be allocated a suitable one based on availability of your size, rather than based on a particular model. The Supersix and Synapse are both similar quality of bike and we are very happy to have them together in our hire fleet. Both are very suitable for long rides and consecutive days in the saddle. Unfortunately due to the complicated logistics around bike hire, we are not able to guarentee you one model or the other. We will however be able to let you know in advance of your trip which model you have been allocated - this will be emailed to you a week or so prior to your trip, along with a bike hire form for you to sign and bring with you on your holiday.
There are a limited number of bikes of each size, so they will be allocated on a 'first come, first served' basis. Please reserve a bike by adding it to your booking form, or by contacting us direct - we will need to know your height and it would be helpful to know what size of bike frame you usually ride. Should you be doing a Marmot trip in the Alps, then please contact us to discuss availability in good time as we have a limited stock available in the Alps (it is shared across the Alps and the Pyrenees), due to logistics of getting bikes there for a particular trip and back again afterwards.
All bikes will have undergone a maintenance check prior to being hired to you, and will be checked every evening by the leader / bike mechanic on your holiday. Any maintenance required should be carried out by the leader or a bike shop.
The price includes delivery to / from the trip start / end points. The hire charge is in £ sterling and will be added to your holiday invoice. No discounts apply to Bike Hire.
Weekly Road Bikes Charges (5 or 6 days cycling):
Mini Break Road Bikes Charges (3 or 4 days cycling):
Extended Week Road Bikes Charges (7 or 8 days cycling):
Daily Road Bike Charges:
We do not normally hire out bikes by the day. However if you are visiting the Ariege and would like to hire a bike then please get in contact for our rates.
Frame size and bike fit
It is important to us that your hire bike is the correct size and feels comfortable. Please see the size charts on bike specific web pages for further information. In addition we do stock a range of stems (with different lengths and angles) which can be interchanged to help us set up your bike correctly. If you have had a bike fit and would like us to try to set up the Hire Bike accordingly, then please take the following measurements of you bike (bring the measurments with you - do not send them to us before the trip starts).
- Tip of saddle to handle bars (front of stem).
- Height of saddle from ground via the bottom bracket.
- Height of handle bars from the ground via the front wheel hub.
- Helmet hire is not included. Please bring your own or arrange hire on booking. It is compulsory to wear a helmet on all trips.
- Standard pedals are provided - if you have shoes with cleats please bring your own pedals
- If you have your own 'tried and tested' saddle then please bring it along.
- Mini-Pumps, tyre levers and spare tubes are provided with all hire bikes in a saddle bag.
- Road Bikes come with a basic bike computer to measure distance.
- GPS units are available for hire - contact us for details
- Luggage racks can be hired for an extra 20 Euros / week
- We ask you to sign a bike form when we provide you with your bike, which details your responsibilities as regards the care of your bike. Our guides will also sign a form detailing their responsibilities as regards the maintenance of the bike
Bringing Your Own Bike
For airline bike transportation charges / advice want advice of packing / transporting your own bike then see our bike transportation section